The Hot Seat

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened. - Winston Churchill

Friday, March 11, 2005

Where have all the liberals gone?

Before I nod off I have to introduce this one into the mix.

British Foreign Secretary Jack Straw, a man who seems to me to have a talent for poignant and witty commentary, let fly a killer in a recent speech on the Middle East.

Faced with an American government of the Right promoting a vision of how to change the world for the better, many on the Left have become the staunchest advocates of the status quo.
  • Link



  • I for one couldn't agree more. I have always considered myself a liberal. I've never been one to tow the party line (I didn't pick "rogue ronin" as the URL name of this blog by accident) but the essence of liberalism...

    • Government as a primary tool for the improvement of the human condition.
    • The value of cooperation and service.

    Has always been dear to me. Which is why I'm so disheartened by some of the things I've been hearing about the most progressive foreign policies I've ever heard from the US government. (at least rhetorically)

    I fully respect principled opposition to the Iraq War. I think it is abundantly clear now that thousands of Americans and Iraqis have died under false justifications. I somewhat respect opposition to the concept of armed conflict period. I know quite a few pacifist and I've always found them to be reasonable caring people.

    I do not at all respect opposition to the concept of promoting democracy and human rights throughout the Middle East and around the world.

    One would think some of the irrational justifications behind such opposition would have died with the Third Reich.

    "Arab/Muslim culture is incompatible with democracy."

    "Given the chance to vote, they will elect extremists, they are a bloodthirsty people"

    In the words of Jack Straw.

    We're sometimes told that democracy is a Western value; and that promoting it reflects a Western agenda which we are seeking to impose on others.

    I utterly reject that.

    It is human nature to want more of a say in what goes on in one's life. Human rights are universal and need to be universally protected.

    Perhaps there are disagreements on what these rights are, but institutions need to be present so that these disagreements can be settled peacefully and rationally.

    These are no new ideas for liberals, as I understand it this is what liberals all around the world have been fighting for all these many years.

    Why now then do some of us sit, comfortable in our living rooms, away from the torture chambers and secret police, decrying the promotion of our own values?!
    I don't really like George W. Bush, I didn't vote for him and I think his administration could not by any stretch of the imagination be called what America truly needs.

    ..but if he will truly fight for the extension of freedom then you'd better believe I'll back him up.

    Partisans need to examine why they joined the party. Forget the group, respect the goal.

    Cries of "imperialism" and "arrogance" shouldn't stop liberals from spreading some of the values we experience in the Western world from uplifting other regions.

    If believing that every human being should be free at birth is wrong. If believing that it is not only my right, but my duty to work to make that happen is wrong.

    I never want to be right.


    1 Comments:

    • blindfreddy-
      No need to apologize :)

      I believe the idea that "democracy cannot be caused at gunpoint" is a bit of a red-herring. The guns were used to remove the main obstacle to democracy, namely the Saddam regime.

      That said it is true that the current politcal setup is not perfect, but I do see it leading to a stable democracy.

      It was the occupation that made democracy possible. US troops are asset rather than obstacle in that light. (and technically the occupation ended with the disolution of the CPA).

      Iraqi may be voting on religious and ethnic lines, namely because they are crtical to Iraq's current pressing problems. Once basic law is established I believe we will see more traditional politics based on more mundane political concerns come into being.

      Even the main Shia party has come out in favor of a fair degree of seperation of church and state. As I said in the post, they reject the Iranian model.

      I believe that the pessimism is damaging to the goals of the Iraqis. What they are attempting is not impossible.

      By Blogger Turnea, at 11:02 AM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home