The Hot Seat

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened. - Winston Churchill

Monday, April 04, 2005

Aid Joke

I posted a comment in the "Afghan Warrior" blog I was pretty pleased with. To be clear, I am most pleased with my communication skills when I think I've made a decent joke, Here's the bit, a play on an earlier comment:

I feel a jolt of realism coming on, I think I'll give a more realistic analogy of how foreign aid often goes:

A young woman was driving on a Kabul road when here car had a flat. She pulls over to the side of the road, exits her car and waves for help.

A week later an American looks up and sees a clearly distressed young lady gnawing on her vehicle. He pulls over, considers getting out of the car and opts instead to yell from a slightly cracked window.

"There's a spare on the back, go ahead and take it"

The young woman overcome with happiness eagerly grabs the tire. A thought occurs to her.

"Pardon me sir, but I don't have a jack, I see one in your backseat, may I borrow it?"

The American thinks this over for a moment and responds.

"I'm sorry, but I really can't offer you any more aid until I see better results with the tire I gave you."

The stunned woman protests at which point the American tosses a granola bar from his dash.

"Here that ought to hold you over until you change that tire."

Whereupon he swiftly pulls off.



So, should I quit my day job or what?

2 Comments:

  • It all seems so much more clear to me now... And I'm guessing that you might think the USM CD is more of a granola bar than a jack... ;)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:33 AM  

  • Tim, you have hit the nail directly on the head. lol

    Maybe, you should quit your day job. :)

    Down with "Granola Politics!"

    By Blogger Turnea, at 1:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home