The Hot Seat

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened. - Winston Churchill

Tuesday, May 10, 2005

Prisoner Abuse Perspective

I've taken up another unofficial research project, this time on the scope of prisoner and other military abuses. After hearing a report on the CBC about the murder of a Somali prisoner back in '93 by Canadian soldiers I started to look into what other recent examples of prisoner abuse to see if I could get some perspective.

There are plenty of unanswered questions here. In the Somalia case (the torture and death of Shidane Arone) the first peacekeeper convicted on charges of manslaughter and torture served three years of his five year term before getting out on parole. I'm looking in to the others, I'm not sure if they were even imprisoned.

Senior officers and government officials tried to cover thing up. Belgian and Italian were also accused of torture.

A sample of what I've got so far.
Photo's Reveal Belgian Paratroopers' Abuse
Somali Inquiry (Canada)

There is also the current furor over sex abuse by peacekeepers in DR Congo and Liberia as well.
Shuffling through newspaper reports in going to take more time, I'll probably go with the larger question of prisoner abuse to America's Debate soon enough...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home